We got the opportunity to do a segment on Mommy Matters on Fox News this weekend on bed-wetting. We wanted to share the tips that we discussed on the segment with you!
Bed-wetting: What do you do to help children get through this?
• Education- anatomy and physiology
• Counseling parents and the child regarding voiding and drinking habits
• Toilet posturing
• Positive motivation of the child and parents
• BIOFEEDBACK – method of allowing the child to see the EMG tracing of the pelvic floor muscle contraction and relaxation in a fun manner tailored specifically for children
Food or physical changes you recommend-
• Typical America diet lacks fiber
• Children often don’t drink enough water to maintain a healthy bladder
• Bladder irritants- caffeine and sugar
• Sedentary lifestyles and obesity are huge contributing factors to urinary dysfunction and bedwetting
Advice for parents who are struggling with this issue
• You are not alone in this- research shows 5 million children in the US wet their bed
• Every child is different and may need a different treatment plan- seek advice, research and ask questions.
• Go with your gut instinct- no one knows your child better than you
• Research shows pelvic floor therapy is an effective treatment option. If you’ve not tried it, consider it!